Claudia J. Beverley, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor (Secondary), Department of Health Policy and Management
Other Academic/Research/Policy Affiliations
Professor, College of Nursing
Professor (Secondary), College of Medicine
Director, Arkansas Aging Initiative, Donald W. Reynolds Institute on Aging
1994 – PhD, University of Tennessee Health Sciences Campus
1976 – Master of Nursing Science University of Arkansas for Medical Science
1975 – Baccalaureate in Nursing University of Central Arkansas
Community Based Care for Older Adults; Access to Health Services with a focus on rural; Health system design and implementation; Health policy and older adults
Current Research Projects
- Team member with Jennifer Dillaha, AR Dept of Health, Herb Sanderson, Division on Aging Team Member
Schmieding Caregiver Replication, funded b the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, May, 2009 ($3,000,000)
- Overton-McCoy, AL, Bishop,P., Taylor, F., Beverly, C. Spring, 2009. Worked with Rep. Steve Harrelson to secure
$150,000 in General Improvement Funds for the Texarkana Regional Center on Aging.
- Project Leader: Partners Investing in Nursing’s Future, Arkansas Community Foundation:
Planning for Workforce Development in Geriatric Long-Term Care. Submitted to the Robert Woods Johnson
Foundation, July 2009, $250,000 plus $250,000 local match.
- Lead Donald W. Reynolds Institute on Aging Expansion – Planning Grant Submitted to The Donald W. Reynolds
Foundation, October 2008. Building estimate $25,000,000.
- AR Civil Money Penalties $235,000, 2007; $225,000, 2008; $182,000, 2009. Funded by Arkansas Department of Health.
Co-authored with Cornelia Beck and Peggy Moody.
- Hartford Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence, funded by the John A. Hartford Foundation, PI: Beverly, C.J., Co-PI: Richards, K.C ($1,020,415 mil 2006-2010).
- Department of Aging and Adult Services with Robin McAtee, Arkansas Aging Initiative: Arkansas Empowering Older Adults: Empowering Older Adults to Take full Control of Their Health thru Evidenced Based Programs. Submitted to Administration on Aging. Funded 2007 – $250,000, 2008 – $200,000 and 2009 – $250,000 by the Department of Health.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Office of
Rural Health Policy, Rural Health Network Development Grant Program. Beverly, C., McAtee, R., Cain, Kimberly,
Authors; Cain, Kimberly, PI. ($540,000 over 3 years). Submitted September 20, 2004. (not funded)
- Hartford Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence, Funded by the John A. Hartford Foundation, Hodges, L.,
Author; Beverly, C., Richards, K; PI: Beverly, C, Co-PI: Richards, K. ($1.3 mil 2000-2005).
- ACHI secured funds for Arkansas Share of Master Tobacco Settlement. Lipschitz, D and Beverly, C. developed
One of four targeted programs: The Arkansas Aging Initiative to create seven regional Centers on Aging. Between
$1.5 and $ 2 million annually. 2000-present
- Schmieding Center for Senior Health and Education, Funded by the Schmieding Foundation, Beverly, C.J., Author; Wright, Larry, ONeil, Tom Co-Authors. $14,000,000 funded in years (1999-2019).
- Lipschitz, D.A., Beverly, C.J. (1997). Donald W. Reynolds Center on Aging and Department of Geriatrics ($28.8 mil).
Nusc 6271 Leadership in Health Care Systems
Beverly, C.J., Burger, S.G., Maas, M., Pringle, J.K., (2009) Aging Issues: Nursing Imperatives for Health Care Reform. Journal of Nursing Administration Special Issue. 34 (2) April-June 2010
McAtee, R., Crandall, D., Wright, L., Beverly, C. (2009) Senior Health Clinics, Are They Financially Viable? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 57(7),
Beverly, C., McAtee, R., Chernoff, R., Davis, G., Jones, S., Lipschitz, D. (2007). The Arkansas Aging Initiative: An Innovative Approach for Addressing the Health of Older Rural Arkansans. Gerontologist, 46(2)
Beverly, C., Maas, M., Young, H., Richards, K.C., Scalzi, C.C., & Kayser-Jones, J. (2006). Leadership Development in the John A. Hartford Centers of Geriatric Nursing Excellence. Nursing Outlook, 54(4) 231-235
Harrington, C., Beverly, C., Maas, M., Buckwalter, K., Bennett, J., Young, H., Sochalski, J., Naylor, M., (2006). Influencing health policy for older adults: Initiatives by the John A. Hartford Centers of Geriatric Nursing Excellence. Nursing Outlook. 54(4) 236-242.
McAtee, R., Beverly, C., (2005). A method for analyzing the financial viability of a rural provider-based geriatric clinic. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management, 28(3), 244-249.
Beverly, C., McAtee, R., Costello, J., Chernoff, R., Casteel, J. (2005). Needs Assessment of Rural Communities: A Focus on Older Adults. Journal of Community Health, 30(3), 197-212.