Gunnar Boysen, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health
Office: COPH 1220
2005 – Postdoctoral Fellow (Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering), The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
2002 – PhD (Chemistry), Department of Chemistry University of Kaiserslautern Germany, and University of Minnesota cancer Center, Minneapolis, MN
1996 – MS (Biology), University of Kaiserslautern, and The German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
I am interested in understanding the interplay between chemical exposure and nutritional or lifestyle habits, such as diet selection and physical activity. To achieve this we utilize DNA and protein adducts to study carcinogen metabolism, how it is modified by nutritional components and the underlying mechanisms regulating corresponding enzyme activities. In addition studies investigate exposures related changes in common metabolic pathways, using targeted and un- targeted mass spectrometry based metabolomic approaches.
- Hartman JH, Miller GP, Caro AA, Byrum SD, Orr LM, Mackintosh SG, Tackett AJ, MacMillan-Crow LA, Hallberg LM, Ameredes BT, Boysen G. 1,3-Butadiene-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction is Correlated with Mitochondrial CYP2E1 Activity in Collaborative Cross Mice. Toxicology. 2017 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sappington DR, Siegel ER. Hiatt G, Desai A, ·Penney RB,·Jamshidi-Parsian A, Griffin R, Boysen G. Glutamine drives glutathione synthesis and contributes to radiation sensitivity of A549 and H460 lung cancer cell lines Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) – General Subjects 01/2016; 1860(4).
- Bogusiewicz A, Boysen G, Mock DM. In HepG2 Cells, Coexisting Carnitine Deficiency Masks Important Indicators of Marginal Biotin Deficiency. J Nutr. 2015 Jan;145(1):32-40.
- Hartman JH, Miller GP, Boysen G. Inhibitory Potency of 4-Carbon Alkanes and Alkenes toward CYP2E1 Activity, 2014 Toxicology 318, 51-58.
- Pugh CP, Pouncey DL, Hartman JH, Nshimiyimana R, Desrochers LP, Goodwin TE, Boysen G, and Miller GP. Multiple UDP- Glucuronosyltransferases in Human Liver Microsomes Glucuronidate Both R- and S-7-Hydroxywarfarin into Two Metabolites, Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 15;564:244-53
- Pianalto KM, Hartman JH, Boysen G, Miller GP. Differences in butadiene adduct formation between rats and mice not due to selective inhibition of CYP2E1 by butadiene metabolites. Toxicol Let. 2013. In press
- Hartman JH, Boysen G, Miller GP Cooperative effects for CYP2E1 differ between styrene and its metabolites. 2013 Sep;43(9):755-64. [Google Scholar, Cited 1]
- Kim SY, Kang JY, Hartman JH, Park SH, Jones DR, Yun CH, Boysen G, Miller GP. Metabolism of R- and S-warfarin by CYP2C19 into Four Hydroxywarfarins. Drug Metab Lett. 2012 Sep 1;41(4) :870-7.
- Edavana VK, Dhakal IB, Williams S, Penney RB, Boysen G, Yao-Borengasser A, Kadlubar S. Potential role of UGT1A4 promoter SNPs in anastrozole pharmacogenomics. Drug Metab Dispos. 2013 Apr;41(4):870-7. [Google Scholar, Cited 1]
- Goel S, Evans-Johnson JA, Georgieva NI, Boysen G. Exposure profiling of reactive compounds in complex mixtures. Toxicology. 2012 Dec 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Boysen G, Georgieva NI, Bordeerat NK, Sram RJ, Vacek P, Albertini RJ, Swenberg JA. Formation of 1,2:3,4-diepoxybutane-specific hemoglobin adducts in 1,3-butadiene exposed workers. Toxicol Sci. 2012;125:30-40.
- Bogusiewicz A, Horvath TD, Stratton SL, Mock DM, Boysen G. Measurement of acylcarnitine substrate to product ratios specific to biotin-dependent carboxylases offers a combination of indicators of biotin status in humans. J Nutr. 2012;142:1621-1625.