Mohammed S. Orloff, PhD
Office: COPH 6201C
Phone: 501-526-6668 (Office), 501-526-6807 (Lab)
2005 – Ph.D. in Genetic and Molecular Epidemiology/Case Western Reserve University.
1994 – M.S. Biotechnology
1992 – B.S. Chemistry, Botany and Zoology
Understanding the interplay of multiple genetic and epigenetic factors in the human genome that can inform the risk for developing diseases e.g. cancers: Use of integrated ‘omics’ approach to analyze high throughput genomic data (including next generation sequencing) to understand genomic, epigenomic and non-genetic factors in disease pathways among populations of variable ethnic/genetic backgrounds. These approaches are currently being applied on breast and lung cancers in the populations of rural communities in Arkansas.
Current Research Projects
- Screening for mutations in non-small cell lung cancer-specific candidate genes in the population of Arkansas (Seeds of Science; Mohammed Orloff, PI)
- Preliminary studies: applying a systematic cross-platform genomic integration to understand lung-associated diseases
- Applying integrated omics (including analysis of next generation sequencing data) to map genes and pathways associated with Barrett esophagus and esophageal adenocarcinoma
Primary area of teaching is epidemiology, genetic/molecular epidemiology and genomics. Current courses taught:
PBHL 5373: Epi-II Lecture
PBHL 5371: Epi-II Lab
PBHL 9163 Genetics/Genetic Epidemiology
PBHL 9883: Survey of Basic Laboratory Methods
- Orloff M, He X, Peterson C, Chen F, Chen J, Mester J and Eng C. Germline PIK3CA and AKT1 mutations in Cowden and Cowden-like syndromes. Am J Hum Genet. 2013 Jan 10;92(1):76-80
- Ashida S, Orloff MS, Bebek G, ZhangL, Zheng P, Peehl DM and Eng C. Integrated Analysis Reveals Critical Genomic Regions in Prostate Tumor-Microenvironment Associated with Clinico-pathologic Phenotypes. Clin Cancer Res. 2012 Jan 24
- Orloff MS, Zhang L, Bebek G, Eng C. Integrative genomics reveal extended germline homozygosity with lung cancer risk in the PLCO cohort. PLoS One. 2012;7(2)
- Bebek G, Orloff M, Eng C. Microenvironmental Genomic Alterations Reveal Functional Networks for Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. J Clin Bioinforma. 2011 Aug 2;1(1):21.
- Orloff MS, Peterson, C, Ganapathi S, He X, Heald B, Yang Y, Bebek G, Romigh T,Hoon Song J, Wu W, David S, Cheng Y, Meltzer S, and Eng C. Germline Mutations in MSR1, ASCC1 and CTHRC1 in Individuals with Barrett Esophagus and/or Esophageal Adenocarcinoma JAMA. 2011;306(4):410-419.