IPM in Schools
- Fall is spider migration time. http://citybugs.tamu.edu/2013/09/26/the-sky-is-falling-oh-its-just-spiders/?safe=on
- Middle School student dies http://schoolipm.tamu.edu/2013/09/20/school-pest-news-volume-12-issue-6-september-2013/
- School IPM Online Course. “The ABC’s of IPM” is offered in English and Spanish for the minimal fee of $20. To find out more visit: http://pmu.ifas.ufl.edu/coure/abcs-ipm-2013
- The Maine School IPM Coalition. To find out more on how you can start or participate a similar program in your state visit http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/pesticides/schoolipm/index.htm
- US Department of Education releases 2014 Green Ribbon Schools Honorees. The U.S. Department of Education released its 2014 Green Ribbon Schools Honorees on 22 April 2014. The Green Ribbons Schools is a recognition award that honors public and private elementary, middle, and high schools and districts that excel at reducing environmental impact and costs, improving the health and wellness of students and staff, and providing effective sustainable environmental education . Implementing pesticide safety and integrated pest management programs assisted many of these schools achieve honor of this award. The Green Ribbon Schools recognition award is open to all public and private schools including Bureau of Indian Education and Tribally owned and operated schools. To find out more on how to get your school honored, visit http://www2.ed.gov/programs/green-ribbon-schools/index.html.
- Best Management Practices for School IPM. The North East School IPM Working Group has created an easy to use resource site on best management practices for effective and efficient integrated pest management in schools. To learn more visit http://www.northeastipm.org/bmps-for-school-ipm/.
- School Integrated Pest Management: The Four Laws for Keeping Schools Pest-Free. The American Clearinghouse on Educational Facilities (ACEF) has posted a free interactive lesson on “School Integrated Pest Management: The Four Laws for Keeping Schools Pest-Free” on its free website at http://online.tarleton.edu/ACEF/SchoolIPM3_17_14/.
- Addressing Asthma Disparities in Schools. Join the US EPA on Thursday, 1 May 2014 for its Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools webinar “Closing the Gap: Addressing Asthma Disparities in Schools”. Gain insight into how a school district and asthma stakeholders and partners can use proactive indoor air quality programs to improve asthma outcomes in schools. To register visit https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/465940042.