The UQuit research study was designed to help us learn more about the experience of quitting smoking among menthol cigarette smokers who try to quit without professional assistance. The study will help us better understand how to improve smoking cessation among Black/African Americans and adult menthol cigarette smokers. This research study has been approved by the Institutional Review Board at UAMS.
Be a part of this Phase I pilot study!
The phase I pilot study can be completed in 8 hours over 1.5 months. Participants will attempt to quit smoking menthol cigarettes on a planned quit date, have 2 in-person visits at UAMS, and complete short daily surveys and 1 follow-up survey that can be completed from your smartphone or in the comfort of your own home!
We are currently recruiting participants for Phase I
- In Phase 1, up to 75 participants will be compensated for their time.
Phase II main study
The phase II main study can be completed in 10 hours over 3.5 months. We are not yet recruiting participants for Phase II. Please check the website for updates in the future!
- In Phase II, up to 150 participants will be compensated for their time.
With YOUR help, we can learn how to improve smoking cessation and prevent smoking lapses in Black/African American and menthol cigarette smokers who try to quit!
Why Might You Be Interested in This Study?
- OUR GOAL is to understand the experience of quitting smoking without professional assistance among adult menthol cigarette smokers.
- During the study, we want to learn about factors associated with you quitting smoking without judging you.
- If you are a Black/African American or non-Hispanic White adult age 21-75 who smokes menthol cigarettes and lives in the Little Rock/North Little Rock metro area.
- You are planning or willing to quit cigarette smoking in the next 30 days
- Compensation will be provided for your time.
Who is Eligible?
- Identify as Black or African American
- Identify as non-Hispanic White (eligible for phase I only)
- Currently smoke menthol cigarettes
- Be 21-75 years old
- Be planning or willing to quit smoking cigarettes in the next 30 days
- Have a smartphone
- Currently live in the Little Rock/North Little Rock metro area
- Be able to speak, write, and read English
How to join the UQuit study?If you would like to know if you are eligible for this study submit the information below and our research team will contact you to determine your eligibility and provide additional information about the study.
How To Contact Us
Thank you for your interest in this research study at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. To find out if you are eligible for the study, please contact us at:
Center for the Study of Tobacco
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Fay W. Boozman College of Public Health
4301 W. Markham St., #820, Little Rock, AR 72205
Alice Gardner, MPH
Azizi Ray, PharmD, PhD
Dina Jones, PhD, MPH
- The information, including your contact info, we collect from you online, by phone, email, or through the website, including your name and any other identifying information will be strictly confidential. This information will be kept under lock and key.
- We do not have access to your medical records.
- It is okay to say no! You will not lose any services, benefits, or rights you would normally have if you chose not to volunteer.
- You can still get your medical care from UAMS if you chose to participate or not participate in the study.
This study is funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse of the National Institutes of Health (#K01DA055088), the UAMS Center for the Study of Tobacco, UAMS Translational Research Institute (TRI, # UL1TR003107), and UAMS Division of Diversity Equity and Inclusion.