2005, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering
2002, PhD, University of Kaiserslautern Germany and University of Minnesota Cancer Center, Chemistry
1996, MS, University of Kaiserslautern and The German Cancer Research Center, Biology
I am interested in understanding the interplay between chemical exposure and nutritional or lifestyle habits, such as diet selection and physical activity. To achieve this we utilize DNA and protein adducts to study carcinogen metabolism, how it is modified by nutritional components and the underlying mechanisms regulating corresponding enzyme activities. In addition, we investigate exposure related changes in common metabolic pathways, using targeted and un-targeted mass spectrometry based metabolomic approaches. The long-term goal my research is to understand metabolic reprogramming of metastases to identify novel therapy targets.
- ENVH 5222 – Environmental Exposure Assessment
- ENVH 5302 – Toxicology in Public Health
- ENVH 5102 – Environmental and Occupational Health
- Boysen G, Shimoni A, Danylesko I, Varda-Bloom N, and Nagler A, A simplified method for detection of N-terminal valine adducts in patients receiving Treosulfan. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry 2019, Jun 25,33, 1635-1642, PMID:31240802, DOI
- Cardenas VM, Cen R, Clemens, MM, Moody H, Uwemedimbuk SE, C A, Fischbach LA, Eswaran H, Magann, EF, Delongchamp RR, Boysen G, Use of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems by Pregnant Women I: Risk of Small-for-Gestational Age Birth, Journal Tobacco Induced Disease, 2019; May 17, 44, 1-12, PMID:31516487, DOI
- Clemens, MM, Cardenas, VM., Fischbach LA, Cen R, Eswaran H, Siegel ER, Uwemedimbuk SE, Policherta A, Moody H, Magann, EF, Boysen G, Use of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems by Pregnant Women II: Hair Biomarkers for Exposures to Nicotine and Tobacco-Specific Nitrosamines, Journal Tobacco Induced Disease, 2019; Jun 17, 50, 1-9, PMID:31516493, DOI
- Nyamugenda E, Trentzsch M, Russell S, Miles T, Boysen G, Phelan KD, Baldini G, Injury to hypothalamic Sim1 neurons is a common feature of obesity by exposure to high fat diet in male and female mice, Journal of Neurochemistry, 2019, PMID:30615192, DOI
- Davis MA, Barnette DA, FLynn NR, Pidugu AS, Swamidass SJ, Boysen G, Miller GP. CYP2C19 and 3A4 dominate metabolic clearance and bioactivation of terbinafine based on computational and experimental approaches.Chem Res Toxicol. 2019 Mar 29. PMID:30925039, DOI.
- Pottenger LH, Boysen G., Brown K, Cadet J, Fuchs RP, Johnson GE, and Swenberg JA, Understanding the Importance of Low Molecular Weight (Ethylene Oxide- and Propylene Oxide-induced) DNA Adducts and Mutations in Risk Assessment: Insights from 15 years of Research and Collaborative Discussions. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, 2019 PMID:30536466, DOI
- Boysen G, Jamshidi-Parsian A, Davis MA, Siegel ER, Simecka CM, Kore RA, Dings RPM, and Griffin RJ, Glutaminase Inhibitor CB-839 Increases Radiation Sensitivity of Lung Tumor Cells and Human Lung Tumor Xenografts in Mice. International Journal of Radiation Biology, 2019, 17:1-23, PMID:30557074, DOI