Some of the characteristics of a successful job or internship search are similar to launching a successful new business opportunity. It requires taking initiative and being proactive, finding ways to differentiate yourself, and being resilient and adaptable if plans change. Your job or internship search requires making professional connections who will help you through every step of the process.
Writing A Resume and Cover Letter
The key to getting that important interview is the resume. An effective resume lays out your background, skills and education, and accomplishments. It tells your career story in a clear and concise format. Choosing the right format is important in telling that story. For assistance in writing a resume, go to the UAMS Writing Center to submit a draft resume and cover letter. Contact Tim Muren for questions regarding resumes and cover letters.
Check out these additional resume resources:
Preparing for an Interview
The interview provides an opportunity for the employer to get to know you and determine if you are a good fit for their company. It also gives the applicant the opportunity to market themselves and learn as much as possible about the position and the company. Please remember, first impressions make a statement and oftentimes, you do not have a second chance to make a first impression.
Tips to Remember
- Research the company.
- Visit the company’s website.
- Be able to discuss or reference products and efforts.
- Know what position you are interviewing for.
- Make a list of questions you want to ask.
- Rehearse answers to questions you expect to be asked.
- Be aware of your posture and demeanor.
- Make sure to make eye contact.
- Bring extra copies of your resume.
- Bring a list of references and letters of recommendations.
- Bring writing samples and portfolio if applicable.
- Be pleasant and confident.
- Send thank-you notes to interviewers.
- Follow up with questions.
- Don’t opt for alcohol if invited to a dinner interview.
- Be prepared for salary discussion and negotiation. This should be initiated by the interviewer. Have a range in mind.
- Pant Suit
- Blouse or Button-up shirt
- Trousers, Slacks
- Be mindful of dress and skirt length
Create A Great LinkedIn Profile
LinkedIn is a great way to connect professionally and manage your personal brand. Need some tips on creating a great LinkedIn profile? Check out these resources to get started.
How Do I Create a Good LinkedIn Profile? – LinkedIn
Strengthen Your LinkedIn Network and Brand (FREE Course)
5 Stunningly Good Graduate Student LinkedIn Summary Examples